Aug 15, 2009

Seedlings Saga


Oh look! Gomphrena Globosa, fondly called 'Pom-pons', germinated successfully. I stuffed nearly the whole of this pot with soaked wilted Gomphrenas flowerheads, 3 seedlings sprung up visibly in 2 days. I followed experts' advise (all seem to be writing the same thing) to soak seeds at least a day - well, I left it soaked 2 days to avoided extreme heat during sunset hence limited time for gardening and kind of forgotten about it. *sheepish grin*


A worthy advice because I've tried for 3 weeks trying to germinate Gromphrena seeds unsuccessfully using the common method.



A pic taken in the hot afternoon of Purple Gomphrenas glowing and basking in the sun.





























Lately, Zinnia seedlings looked sickly - it's transplanting time! I separated these seedling into an exclusive pot to be placed for sunny and higher heat exposure. In doing so, I felt 2 seedlings with sturdy stem (left pic) and re-planted into the flowerbed (filling the gaps left by dead Marigolds), amongst the matured Zinnias. Therefore less congestion in the exclusive pot of sickly seedlings that requires attention for critical care. Could call it the 'sick bay'. *chuckle*


I'm pleased with Marigold seedlings thriving better, reaching 3-inches tall, my 3rd attempt (right pic). Failed attempts were; (Jun-21) started growing Marigold seeds but missing a top thin layer of soil hence no germination; (Jul-5) corrected my method to successfully germinated 3 seedlings in 3 days but survived only an inch tall. Ratio of successful germination using common method with black soil, Marigold:Zinnia is 3:9.


Determined because every gardeners say Marigolds are 'easy', I germinated seeds (Aug-2) and they are 'growing'! Watchful of waterings and sun exposure for better chance of survival.




No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin