Dec 11, 2009

Cross-breed?

I blogged in my last post about pulling out the old leggy Zinnias and Marigolds from the flowerbed. For months I've tried sowing its seeds to grow, I think 4 or 5 batches - I couldn't remember now. Seedlings grew to a foot tall then they all dried up so easily - perhaps from over-watering?


I replaced these flowers with Pentas. And what-da-ya-know? Spotted this lovely bright orange Zinnia, taking up the backstage right corner. Now we've planted its parents in the front row so I was amused that this shy seedling preferred otherwise.

What a minute ... I was just flipping those the old blogs and couldn't find . I had Zinnias 'Yellow Flame' and 'Pink' planted in June. They grew above 3 feet tall and became leggy with smaller blooms. I find it hard to grow their seeds. In Nov, I bought dwarf-looking Orange narrowleaf zinnia (Zinnia angustifolia) to replace them. Dreadful rainy spell destroyed all before I could plant them into ground and snap photos.

Could this be a "cross-breed" ? Wow.






Sweet smelling 'Bunga Kerak Nasi' or 'Kesidang' (and many more other local names) before and after bloom. This pest-free flowering vine plant bloomed a few times in Nov and Dec. They enjoyed the rainy spell :)





Lovely bright yellows (Turnera) glows in the gloomy and wet mornings. It has spread out a lot since Sep


A cutie moth (to me, but hubby insist it's a butterfly, what do you think?)


Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum spp.). It does looked somewhat like an Anthurium in white. I love having Anthuriums, they look exotic like Orchids and blooms could stay on over a month. In fact I bought Pink anthuriums twice, tried in sunny and cooler locations, without much luck.

I'm told that Peace Lily requires filtered sunlight or else its leaves will burn easily.

Desert Rose's bud 2 weeks later (Adenium Obesum).

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin