Oct 3, 2009

Buds greet Happy Mid-Autumn

Chinese celebrates Mid-Autumn, according to the Lunar Months so happens falls on Sep-28 until Oct-3. It is when the moon is especially big, round and very bright. This period with busy activities for the Chinese, such as; prayers with happy offerings, visits bringing mooncakes, renunions with a good meal, weddings, etc. The final day is usually celebrated in full swing. There are quite a few legendary stories of the 'Moon Day'.

In Malaysia, bakeries and restaurants would be selling their mooncake delicacies to woo appetites everywhere. This year, our Mid-Autumn just after Hari Raya. Our Malay neighbour were delighted when we brought halal mooncakes to their 'Raya open house'. A favourite feast for their sons.

A week after we spotted Gerbera's flowerheads, one of the four, grown 4-inches tall today. I was amused as flowers in the same plant, and/or similar phase, has different growing behavior. The tallest of the four, develop petals covering its shy face, perhaps to shield from the intense sunlight. It is a Coral-coloured Gerbera plant but yellowish petals? Hmm ...



This cutie here however prefer to stay low but has a wider maroonish face, yellow petals growing from the sides.

Adenium's new buds, this time from my neglect as I spent more time on Roses and Hydrangea and worry about Kesidang. This will be our 3rd blooming time.
This pot of Sui Mui (Wrightia religiosa), my 1st bonsai experiment - obviously an amateur, decided to bud and bloom after 7 months! Oh how nice! It is fragrant so I can't wait to have the first sniff!
 These are buds from Kesidang (Vallaris Glabra). I'm thinking perhaps, or maybe, Kesidang's fragrance awaken our Sui Mui to bloom? Both plants with buds, so I'm so excited when they bloom filling fragrance in our porch.
Interesting, don't you think so? New leaves formed at the tip of the stem. It is a rare sight for me.
My sis-inlaw loves this plant. Really easy to grow Episcia and blooms in partial shade areas. Wonderful blooming plant to have for small garden or limited space.




It may look like a creeper but it isn't. It'll grow lush with coloured leaves, interesting to look at even when it is not blooming. Over-watering can cause root to rot easily so be warned ;-)

3 comments:

James David said...

Really wish I have that Episcia variety. I have been keeping mine for sometime.
Hope all your flowers bloom and give you the fragrance you desire.

Jaime Boey said...

It's Episcia 'Kee Wee', requires at least 3 hours of sunlight and to grow buds. Tried growing in filtered sunlight, plant looked sickly. I could try grow cuttings again, which variety do you have?

James David said...

I really not sure of their names.
Do check them out in my blog on the label: Flame Violet. I have 3 types, the Bronze, the Green and the Striped Bronze.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin